Monday, July 30, 2012

When in Rome…


For those of us who live and work in low-density cities, the car is often seen as the preferred (if not the only) mode of day-to-day transportation. We only consider using other forms of transportation when we are on vacation in cities that are known for their rail and bus systems and their walking culture. What is seen as a method of last resort in our home town becomes a convenience and a luxury when we travel.

During a trip to Baltimore and D.C. a few weeks ago, I realized that, to some degree, my experiment in Austin trying to avoid car trips has a lot in common with some of the more memorable aspects of travel.

For example:

  • The most desirable hotels are often located either near sights of interest or close to transportation hubs. In Austin, we chose to live in the center of town, in part, to take advantage of the density of bus lines, restaurants, grocery stores, and shops within walking distance of our apartment.  



  • Walking is not just a means of transportation for tourists. It is often the best way to explore new surroundings. In Austin, I have found that I have started replicating my tendency when traveling to take different routes to and from a point of interest so that I can see more of the city. 



  • Tourists are always on the alert for people, buildings, gardens, galleries, and meals that pique their interest. We often remember our vacations in detail, because we approach them in the spirit of observation and discovery. In contrast, we may not remember our day-to-day activities in such stark detail. In retrospect, one of the reasons I enjoyed living in Cambridge so much may be the level of observation and spirit of discovery that influenced the choice of transportation (subway, bus, walking) on any given day.



One of the unintended consequences of seeking out alternatives to driving in Austin has been a change in my approach to the daily commute. I have come to see it as a puzzle to be solved, not a collection of streets and highways to be navigated, which has added another layer of experience to my life here. I now start planning how to reach my next destination by wondering, “What new discovery will I make along the way?”

No comments:

Post a Comment