Monday, July 23, 2012

Up Close – surprises along the way


When I drive down the street, I sometimes feel that I am traveling in a bubble. This feeling can be comforting, particularly on a hot summer day in Texas. But, I have found that it reduces my ability to observe and appreciate my surroundings – the way details shift from day to day and season by season.

For example, we moved back to Austin at the end of spring. It seemed that everything was flowering, even in forgotten places like cracks in the sidewalk.


On one of my walks, I realized that a century plant I had passed dozens of times without really noticing it had produced a flower stalk that reached well into the middle branches of its neighboring oak tree.  The exuberance of the plant life was amazing.


And, then, over a period of two to three weeks, almost all of the flowers disappeared; it seemed that we had entered the much-feared summer, which can drag on for six+ months without any rain.

Last week, however, it started raining again. The plants went wild, and it really hit home that Austin is a water-scarce area.

  • Plants that had apparently given up for the season burst back into bloom;


  • flowers started appearing in unlikely places;


  • and, my walks were punctuated with views of plants and animals that are not usually seen in drought-prone Austin.




Over the past week, the temperature crept back above 100. And, the flowers have started retreating again under the influence of the harsh summer sun. But, I now know to keep my eyes open on my walks for the surprisingly dramatic response of some plants and animals to subtle shifts in temperature, humidity, and rainfall.

No comments:

Post a Comment